Healthy Changes

LilySlim Diet days tickers

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Humane Vegan vs Health Vegan

Ignorance WAS Bliss

I am the first to admit I've lived blissfully unaware with my hands over my ears going "la la la la la" when it came to being an animal eating, animal product using omni.  For 34 years if someone would say something about being vegetarian/vegan - I was the person saying " I could never do that I love Cheeeeeeeze etc."  I now know I was wrong and I was able to change my lifestyle, I just didn't.  Duh! If anyone offered to talk about the animal products I flat out told them I didn't want to know.  

Open your eyes girl!

Now I've been at this a limited amount of time so my view is quite narrow, but I am really really trying to be educated and do the best I can so this lifestyle change sticks for my whole life.  So after doing this for a few weeks I started opening my eyes.  I read the articles about animal cruelty in the food industry, learned about the "products" I had been eating and was thoroughly disgusted. I saw the videos, I saw the pictures ::vomit::  That being said- I wasn't ready to know earlier.   I wasn't interested.  It wasn't time for me yet.  There are a lot of Vegans who after reading forums and articles I think would punch me in the face for saying I became a Vegan for Health reasons.  The fact is the one and only reason I started reading those articles is because I need more "backbone" for staying with this through the harder points- Holidays are coming baby!

New info - new changes

My lax approach to my kids-" well it's okay if they get regular food at friends', relatives' or school" has seriously changed.  I had a talk with them about it.  My daughter understands as a almost 9 year old what we spoke about- I didn't show pictures, I didn't discuss how the animals are treated- hate me for it but I would like her to be a kid for as long as possible, and I believe I can guide her to better choices then I made without all of the gory details up front- one day yes but not now.  My son as a 5 year old just said "okay mommy", but I control most of his food intake with him still anyway.  They both are worried about snacks/desserts.  I had let them buy lunch at schools on Fridays because they always go ta surprise treat, now they'll get packed lunches then too.  As a compromise I promised to keep the house stocked full of vegan snacks they can enjoy- PETA's accidentally vegan list was a huge help if you haven't seen that yet check it out.  I also started looking around for HEALTHY bake goods that I can start making.

Being Vegan != (does not equal) Healthy Eating

Did I mention I became a Vegan for health reasons. If I didn't have major Migraine issues my family and I may have never tried becoming vegan.   News flash in case it wasn't obvious- you can be a Vegan and not eat healthy.  I know I know most out there think vegan and picture some waif-like pale creature, but UHM, no.   That's not the reality for most.  I do think I will lose weight with my changes to eating, but it's because I've forced myself to keep searching and finding all of the extra information on how to eat the healthiest I can.  There is a lot of prepackaged vegan crap-great in a pinch but not so great for daily eating if you're looking to be healthier.  You can also as a Vegan life 100 percent off of smarties and ruffles if you want- how healthy is that though?  

I cook, from scratch, daily.   I look at every ingredient and question if it's good for us, how it can help, if I should change it in any way- and make the healthiest, most well balanced meals I can.  I have tried recipe after recipe, making small changes or large and done a bunch of experimentation in my short few weeks as a vegan.  I've made mistakes, and have had wins.  I'm still learning.  

Now I am learning that there is a lot of judgement and dislike for vegans like me.  I am a lesser breed of Vegan.

Get to the point already!

In the end this change is about me.  100 percent.  I'm not going to apologize for taking care of myself and my family, even friends, first.  I don't know that I will ever be that person lecturing about animal cruelty.  It does bother me, I have changed that for us.  

BUT- I think for a lot of people the interest in making a change can come easier from less abrasive information.  I would love to stuff people I know full of VEGAN yumminess and have them say "are you sure this is vegan OMG delicious" and tell them the benefits I have seen in myself and my family from the switch- I do that.  I don't want to be judgmental.  If they ask about the cruelty part I have been directing them to some good information. I don't want to be that pushy Vegan.  I don't think it helps me, them , OR the animals.  

If we want more people to make the change, we need to make sure we aren't instantly turning them off. With most things in life that require change- you need to come to it in your own terms, or it won't stick.  Look down on me all you want for the fact that I'm a health reason vegan- but in the end I'm still doing my part for the animals as well, and truth be told I think more of my friends/family/acquaintances will start adding vegan meals to their diet with my approach then if I shoved pictures in their face about the reality of the world. 

When you, as a vegan, look down on another- consider that some of us are not as strong as others and your attitude just might push someone backward in their progress.  There are enough frustrations with major lifestyle changes, don't add to it!   Pushiness and a judgmental attitude also affects how people in general view us as Vegans.   I know I do not want to tell someone I'm Vegan and get that "oh god, not one of them" looks. There is a reason people get that attitude.  Let's give people a good view of us and there might be more willingness to try it out.   

Be happy I'm on your team. Whatever the reasons were in the beginning,  the animals I'm not eating do not care that it's because of health reasons (firstly) that I'm not eating them.  

Organically,

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my Blog- I do appreciate constructive criticism, camaraderie, and information so feel free to post away. I do reserve the right to delete posts at any time without warning when they cross the line.