Healthy Changes

LilySlim Diet days tickers

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Are you buying orgainic? LOL

Is that a question?

Have you noticed that when someone asks about being vegan/whole foods the organic question is soon to follow?  Have you also noticed instead of that being a question with a ? at the end it always ends in this little tee-hee giggle?  It's this "I know something you don't know and if you answer with a yes, you're wasting money" giggle questions.  The first few times I was asked, it threw me a little.

My Current Answer

Yes.  The next "question" is something along the lines of " why, don't you know it's a made up label- that you're really buying dirty stuff from China?"  I'm sorry was that a question or an argument?  "Well, don't you know?"  I know what you're saying- I'm not an idiot (unless you count the fact I microwaved an empty cup this morning in trying to make tea).    I'm not as I've said- a scientist, nutritionist, Chinese or organic or a Chinese organic farmer....  I get the feeling you're waiting for me to say "OMG, are you serious?  Tell me more?  You mean I missed out on Penn and teller's expose on organics?"  Nah.  I shrug.  You don't want me to say what I really want to say.   I shrug and say "Okay."  This may be a surprise, but I'm not here to convert people.  You are hopefully a grown adult with a fully formed brain (age 24+ right? lol) and are capable of making your own choices.  I have no interest in changing or bashing you and your info. I'm sure that, indeed you did read that.

My real feelings

This may come as a complete surprise but- my blog name has nothing to do with the fact I buy organic or not.  I was going for a play on words... naturally, truthfully me or something along those lines.  I like how it sounds in the end.  I read read read as much information as I could on the subject of - buy organic or not.  In the end my decision was this:  I eat so many fruits and veggies in the day a ton- my family eats a TON of them, mostly raw even- the information is so all over the place the only I know for a FACT is: if you buy non-organic you are most definitely enjoying pesticides, herbicides, additives, preservatives and who knows what else that may or many not have been grown in china or in any other number of countries in the world.  No doubt.  We have food regulations for food being imported, and the sad fact is that the amount of foods actually tested is a very very small percentage- so we don't know.  The organic label may not always mean what it's meant to mean- but I know there are people fighting to make it a strong word, fighting to make it as healthy as possible, and outside organizations that really care testing those items and fighting for healthy, natural foods.  Is it 100 percent of the time exactly what you're buying- probably not, but I'll take a decent chance over no chance.   Don't you know your organic food is from china?  No, I don't know that, but while we're on the subject where exactly is your non organic food from?  Incidentally I buy local organic, so it's probably not from China since you know... that's not exactly local.  If I can do anything to keep chemicals out of me and my family I will do it, regardless of added cost.  I am also super lucky it turns out- our local store has created it's own organic brand which has considerably brought down the prices to the point it's maybe .30 cents more a pound then the non-organic.  My no longer buying meat products honestly has balanced out my grocery bill, so there isn't much of a difference.  Here in PA though- I will say I flat out exclaimed- "holy cow, how can anyone afford to eat organic/healthy here" to which several of my aisle-mates giggled.

The bottom line

Do what's right for you and your family IN YOUR OPINION.  I'm not judging you.  Really!

(Broke this week but still)Organically,

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my Blog- I do appreciate constructive criticism, camaraderie, and information so feel free to post away. I do reserve the right to delete posts at any time without warning when they cross the line.