Healthy Changes

LilySlim Diet days tickers

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Getting my grooooove back

Where am I?

So I've been MIA for 2 weeks- still sticking as closely as I can to my whole foods/vegan diet but it's been hard!  I was out in PA visiting my sister!  <3

The kids and I went without the hubby (he had to work!) and I thought for sure the hardest part of the trip would be the 12 hour drive with 2 kids solo, but it turns out it was the food! I had packed for the trip to try to not buy anything on the way, but my resolve wasn't as strong 10 hours into the trip as it was 3 hours into it.  I ended up cheating slightly by getting myself a McCafe Caramel Frappe and an Plain Auntie Anne's Pretzel.  I had intended to try out some meals I found (just add hot water) in my organic section that had great ingredients by asking for Hot Water at Starbucks or something, but the lines were too long and I was too hungry and too tired.  I ended up with a migraine and throwing up.  McCafe != Starbucks Soy frappe.  Apparently my tummy wasn't happy taking that step backwards food wise.  Won't make that mistake again!

The Food Shocker

I was smart and brought almond milk and breakfast stuff (oatmeal yum) with us so the first morning at my sis' we were fine food wise.  But I very quickly pushed to get to the store and YIKES!  The only store in the area with any organics was Wegman's - which I loved very much when we lived back in PA, but my fellow VegHeads it's been years of living in Indiana and I much prefer our food prices.  What do you mean that bag of organic apples is $14??? I had to pick and choose my organics to be able to afford food for Me, the kids and my sis, her hubby and her kiddo.  Rough!

I missed my food processor, I missed my Juicer, I missed my kitchen full of gear/utensils and a full pantry of all good ingredients- did I mention I miss my Juice.  I would like to state for the record that anyone claiming drinking fresh juice breakfast and lunch doesn't make a difference is a liar!  I lost my energy, I was cranky, I was constantly looking for something to munch on- I really really missed my juice.  I loved the two weeks visiting with everyone, but I was really happy to get home to my "stuff" and dependable prices.

Noooo not you again!

I had a total of 4 migraines while I visited her.  It felt like a setback, lucky they weren't severe or anything and I was smart enough to bring my meds but you're talking I had had only one/two prior in the 6 weeks before the trip (bad food choices both times).

The first was the last 2 hours of the drive.  I blame the drink and "food", and sheer exhaustion on my part and the kid's.

The 2nd I blame on the butterscotch schnapps which I should have realized were a bad call on my part. I had about 2 shots worth and could feel it almost immediately.

The 3rd was while vising my grandparents- they cooked pasta.  It was simple enough- not organic, not whole foods in any way and I tried to make sure I didn't each much but I also didn't want to make them feel bad- so I ate.  They were trying and trust me at their age hearing that their overweight, out of shape veggie hating granddaughter is now whole foods/vegan it's a bit hard to understand.  I didn't let them know, but I also didn't take the meds since I had to drive back home so it was a very rough night.  The fourth was a similar event with my parent's - it was very mild but just bad timing as I had to get up at 5:30 am the next morning to drive home.  It kept me awake till about 3am- so yeah not fun.

I wasn't sure if I should kiss my kitchen or my hubby first...

I've been home since Friday night.  I am back to eating my food fully- cooked in my kitchen, with my ingredients.  I've felt pretty grumpy and tired still but as of yesterday I'm finally feeling it turning around again. I'm back to my juice, and my energy feels like it's coming back.  I'm sure in another day or two I'll be back to where I was completely.  Thank god for good food!

Last night I made black bean soup.  YUM!

First I started some Brown Balsmati Rice.  Make however much your family needs.

-1 cup rice to 1 1/2 cups water.
-Note the waterline and swirl the rice around and dump it back out- rinse the rice 3 times or until the water is no longer starchy.
-Now fill the pot back up to that water line (or just below) and bring the rice to a boil.
-Turn the boil all the way down to a low simmer and put the lid on- cook 20 minutes with no peeking.
-Fluff away.


The black bean soup

2- 15 oz cans organic black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups organic vegetable broth
1 cup organic medium salsa
1 tsp ground cumin
Better than Sour cream (to top when served)
Veggie shreds- cheddar cheese(to top when served)

1) Get out a pot
2) Dump everything into the pot with the exception of the sour cream and cheese
3) Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer with lid on for 20 minutes +  ( I let mine go a full hour or whatever just more flavor!)

Now to the side/topping

Get out a decent size frying pan.  Put a tablespoon or two of cold pressed Olive Oil in it on medium high heat.  Throw in a heaping tablespoon of garlic and saute till lightly browned.
Now add:
   - 1/2 Sweet Orange Pepper (diced)
   - 1/2 Sweet Red Pepper (diced)
   - 1/2 Sweet Orange Pepper (diced)
I like my colors!
  - Corn- cup to cup and 1/2
  - Cherry tomatoes- diced up
Saute them in the pan till they get a bit carmalized then take them off and put them to the side.

Back to the soup

4) Get out your immersion blender and go to town smoothing that stuff out.

Now the way we do it is to have the veggies, rice and soup all available separately- because of the kids.  The kids prefer the soup with a dollop of sour cream and cheese with the rice on the side and the veggies on the side of that.  Depending on our mood the hubby and I do it one of two ways- Soup with dollop of sour cream and cheese with the rice and veggies on the side but mixed together OR I put the soup in our bowl- top it with rice, top that with the veggie and mix it all together with a dollop of sour cream and some cheese.  Both ways are delicious, have some homemade bread with it for dipping and it doesn't get much better then that!

Organically,
Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my Blog- I do appreciate constructive criticism, camaraderie, and information so feel free to post away. I do reserve the right to delete posts at any time without warning when they cross the line.