Healthy Changes

LilySlim Diet days tickers

Friday, May 3, 2013

::Poof::

She was there and then ::Poof:: she was gone


Yeah, so I haven't blogged since before Thanksgiving?  How is that even possible?  Time goes fast when you're making major life changes?  It's been a definite blur.  Holiday, Holiday, Holiday,birthday , birthday, birthday, birthday, birthday, birthday, family trip, holiday.  YIKES!  Thankfully blogging is not my job or I'd have been fired long ago.

Have you been a bad girl?


Well, honestly.... Nope.  I've been a very well behaved vegan for the most part.  I cannot speak for every ingredient I've had when I've eaten out but I've done all in my power to ensure I've been eating pretty darn clean.  The holidays were 100 times easier then I thought they would be- they came and went and I actually spent a lot less time in the kitchen then I had previous holidays and the food was just as wonderful so all and all we're pleased and see no issue in keeping with our vegan lifestyle moving forward.


Rough patches- there had to be some rough patches


Yes, indeed not all is smooth sailing... but when in life is it all perfect?  If it is the case for you please let me know what the trick is so I can enjoy too!


So what's up?


There has been continued issues with friends- who knew food was such a trigger for people's anger.  At this point I try not to mention food at all around certain friends- even when I'm eating it and it's the best thing I've tasted in my life.  I won't even say Yum if I can muster up the strength to control it.  It literally angers them for some reason.  It's put a serious wedge in 2 friendships.  One friend's husband explains that every time I appear to enjoy my food- it tells his wife that my food is better then her food and that's just not allowed.  Hum, what?  Seriously?  She also doesn't want to hear about any good food prices I've found unless it does not involve the word organic.  Buying organic means I'm now a snob apparently.  ::blank stare::

Another acquaintance will no longer even make eye contact with me during events with our kids let alone say hello.  We were always friendly but apparently I made a huge mistake with Facebook.  I don't talk to people about being Vegan- unless they specifically ask me.  In the event of being asked I answer the question as best I can and refrain from any tangents because I don't care to perpetuate the stereotype that- all vegans talk about is being vegan.   BUT I am also pretty angry about a lot of the things I've learned about the food industry and our government since becoming Vegan- I'm mad no one ever told me things so I could have woken up a bit earlier.  So when I find an interesting article or something funny about being vegan I'll share it or like it on Facebook   Just in case someone wants to know they can read it- if not they can scroll on by.  Well I posted an article about 3 cans of diet soda being worse then smoking a pack of cigarettes - because when I read it my reaction was HOLY CROW how do people not know this?!  Now I no longer drink soda- I see no nutritional benefit to it, but my only comment on the article was "you might think about drinking regular soda if you're a diet drinker".  Not- "soda is awful if you drink it you're a poor misguided soul who deserves what you get from the empty calories and aspartame".  So I linked it and what did I get- A comment "something is going to kill me anyway, let me enjoy my life." and my daughter is now the only girl scout troop member not invited to her daughter's birthday party and I'm completely not even worthy to say hello to.       Okay then.  People sure are sensitive about the things they ingest- you would think it would mean they would want to know exactly what it is then.


Good news far outweighs the bad.


I feel great.   I feel like I'm making huge steps in my life, my husband's life, and my kids to better health.  I'm 24 lbs down since September and working out about an hour or two a day- which comparatively may not be a great ratio for most people, but I gain muscle fast and have thyroid issues so losing lbs has never been my strong suite.  I made it through the 6 month mark as a vegan and kept going.  I'm still learning, still trying new things every day and still working on making more changes.



In the works


My current agenda is to move forward with cleaning up my house and personal products.  No more toxic chemicals where I can make a homemade replacement.  We shall see how that goes. I also want to learn more about meditation and work it into my daily routine.  Something is going to kill me someday, but if it's within my power I refuse to help it along any more.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my Blog- I do appreciate constructive criticism, camaraderie, and information so feel free to post away. I do reserve the right to delete posts at any time without warning when they cross the line.